Thursday, September 10, 2009

2 minutes in the life..

As you have probably already surmised, at any given moment you can look in my window and see some degree of mayhem. To legitimize this claim, let me give you a brief glimpse into 2 minutes of time at my house...and be thankful that you are not the Department of Child/Welfare Services. Ready? C'mon then, let's take a look and watch as Georgie the 3 year old typ approaches me whilst I am sitting on my couch perch announcing, "I like little fings" and happily pops something of unknown and tiny origins into his mouth. As I jump up to do the mandatory finger sweep, I see Harry the 4 year old autie out of the corner of my eye, running quickly towards the hall...not unusual, no worries, right? None up until Kim discovers his Olympic run down the hallway includes him waving a giant kitchen knife instead of merely a gentle flaming torch in front of him...this jaunt makes running with scissors look damn near attractive! Great, okay, Harry screams unhappily as the knife is wrestled away from him and returned to the butcher block in the kitchen (and the butcher block is then moved out of his reach, which is now on top of the refrigerator). Meanwhile, back in the living room, Georgie's mouth has been swept, retrieving the watch battery he thought would be so magically delicious (perhaps that little energizer bunny was thinking it would give him more energy than he already has...as if...he's 3 years old for crying out loud!)

Whew, that was quite a moment, huh? Glad it's over...right?? Not so much, as in an effort to continue his 3 year old reign of terror, Georgie decides to spend some time getting "in-touch" with nature. This would consist of a bit of recreational rock throwing over the child safety fence and into the swimming pool. This might have turned out to be a viable past time for him, had the rock he selected not been quite so big...and if his throw had any arc or pitch to it at all...but alas, the big rock came thundering back down, smashing wee Georgie in the face. Hey, I told him not to throw stuff in the pool...that gentle reminder, however, did not make his blood any less red or his tears any less wet and flowing. This, however, is one of those countless moments where I question my maternal instincts and abilities...because I clearly prefer the logic to the sympathy in these sheer moments of brilliance. This logic somehow fails to make the wee kiddies feel any better though...perhaps hugs, kisses and boo boo kitties are best! So in closing the door on my house of chaos, I suppose today's silver lining would be that no one died...or heck, even went to the emergency room for that matter!


1 comment:

  1. Imagine if you will, the entire 2 minutes in slow motion. And little Georgie with blood dripping down his forehead proclaimed that his toe got hurt. I think the boulder landed on his foot too. Yet no emergency room visit. That's right, we've seen worse!

    ReplyDelete