Thursday, September 17, 2009

School Year's Resolution...

Traditionally, on New Year's Eve most of us make our resolutions...whether it be to drop that extra 20 pounds, quit smoking, start exercising (I know these all so well because I have made each and every one of them annually) with no real intentions of carrying through on them. Okay, perhaps it's unfair to generalize, but even my best attempt at carrying through on a resolution usually fails by mid January. Perhaps I should set my goals to something more attainable, like "I solemnly swear not to curse audibly every time I put the wrong year on any paperwork!" At least if I fail at this, I am guaranteed that quarter in the "Bad Word Jar"!

So I have realistically done away with the entire idea of abiding by some resolution at the start of each new year. Instead, I have extended my time frame for self betterment to the start of the school year...after all, how are you supposed to achieve success at anything with 5 children underfoot, muddying up the waters?? I mean, I am successful at keeping them alive, fed, sorta clean and mostly safe, but anything beyond that, nu-uh! Now that the school year is in full swing, I find myself desperately trying to adhere to some sort of normal schedule. For my one ultimate "school year resolution" is organization...pure, sweet and simple, right? Hmph...this is me we are talking about...nothing simple here in the house of chaos.

I have aspirations of getting 4 out of 5 of those little buggers on the bus each morning and "gettin to it". After my morning exercise regime and run, I'd shower (that would be EVERY day folks, greedy? Perhaps.) and take care of the laundry and house duties.
I would mop my floors to ensure that any residual urine, feces, drool or vomit from the night before were all cleaned up and sanitary. I would then take advantage of the quiet time by tending to the mountains of necessary paperwork, such as bill paying, signing & filling out the many forms that come with children - especially special needs children. I would dedicate a solid hour each day to my own schoolwork, and even throw a little time into my blah blah blog. I would get all the errands run; store, post office, accountant or bank. Then I'll be ready for the return of the children, with snacks prepared (yeah, maybe I'll be wearing an ironed linen dress and string of pearls too...). Bring on the therapists!! Occupational, speech...I am waiting with a fresh pot of coffee and the children dressed and ready (understand, the "dressed" part, not so easy...my therapists expect coffee and nudity when they come to my house - I am of course referring to the auties!!) After a successful session, where both boys pay total attention, and the 3 typs don't interrupt 97 times, or give the answers for the auties...I prepare a delicious homemade dinner, which we all sit down at the table and eat together. Then bath time, story time...perhaps a bit of tv with a light bedtime snack, and everyone is asleep by 10pm, MYSELF included. Ahhh, that would be perfection!

Instead, 3 weeks into this new school year, it's gone something like this...We wake up the 4 little screaming and crying beasties, and run around like lunatics, racing the bus's arrival that comes anywhere in a 20 minute window. Morning prep is an extra lengthy process when dealing with the auties, since they have virtually no self help skills. This means we clean, dress, and brush them from head to toe, while they fight us the entire time. The typs, well, they are generally whining or crying because they are too tired from not going to bed at a decent hour the night before. The 3 adults, we are snapping at each other and the kiddies for that very same reason. As we stand on the sidewalk waving goodbye to the tear stained faces of our children pressed against the bus window, we all head back into the house, breathing a sigh of relief... knowing we don't have to see them again for 7 hours, and they will surely be smarter and smiling when they return home. Without so much as another word, we all return to the beds from whence we came...and often times, I sleep right up until the children come home. So, I guess my entire "school year resolution" idea is about as effective for me as the real new year's resolution idea. Not at all. The silver lining here my friends is the only thing that is simple...I am cashing in
big time on my sleep debt, and the bags under my eyes are no longer carrying bags of their own!!

2 comments:

  1. I linked to you off of Autism Bitch. Your posts were funny. But... when I got to I hate poop, I hurt myself laughing (with you, not at you). the words "shit massacre" will stay with me for a LONG time.
    My shit story just happened when my 4 year old whipped off his diaper at bath time. I always look and the coast looked clear. after the tub when I was dressing him, my foot felt cushiony. You know I was standing in a big load.... I used a wipey, and kept going. How's that for tough... or disgusting, whichever...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am doing the same thing with 1/2 day pre-school. Unfortunately, like you, I get nothing done on my to-do list. Oh well, I better enjoy the sleep before baby #2 comes...sigh.

    ReplyDelete