Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Just the facts Ma'am!

I get a lot of questions regarding autism, naturally, being an expert with 2 auties at hand. Here's what I know, am frequently asked, and feel is important - the technical stuff (there is a multitude of things I will not address here, as I could go on about the subject matter for pages). First of all, autism is a complex neurobiological disorder of which there is no cure or method of medical detection. Autism impairs the individual's ability to communicate and relate to others. Currently 1 in 150 children is diagnosed with autism (however, new reports released as recently as this week estimate the number to now be 1 in 100 children); that's 67 kids per day, one every 20 minutes folks! This makes autism the most rapidly growing developmental disability in the United States. Statistically speaking, autism diagnoses for children this year will outnumber cancer, diabetes and AIDS diagnoses for children combined. But sadly, autism research will receive less than 5% of the allocated funding to the less prevalent (albeit important) childhood diseases. Autism doesn't discriminate really, it occurs in all walks of life; all racial, ethnic, and social groups are fair game. Most interestingly though, boys are 4 times more likely to have autism than girls; making 1 in 94 boys autistic...and it is typically seen in first born males. You don't outgrow autism, and the life expectancy of an autie is the same as you and me (whatever THAT may end up being!). Autism tends to present anywhere from 18 months to 2 years. There are different levels of severity; some kids can actually main stream into regular classes...while others have a hard time ever coming out of their "shell".

Though no definitive link has been made regarding the cause of autism, there are avid supporters of both genetics and vaccinations. My personal belief, having lived through the hereditary side of it in my own immediate and extended family (I also have a nephew with Asperger's Syndrome), leads me to believe that there is indeed a genetic link. The vaccination argument, however, cannot be denied. The facts are there; as are the continuing heated debates between
a cast of thousands... physicians, parents, the FDA; the CDC, the advocacy groups, etc. I follow an excellent and informative blog by a fellow mother of autism who is very well versed in the area of vaccinations...I highly recommend you check her blog out to grip the full magnitude of vaccinations and the impact they can have on our babies (See Autism's Bitch under "blogs I follow" or Crystal on my "followers" list). My intent in this blog is not to argue how or why autism occurs, this blog thing really is just about me and my life, such as it is. That being said, my position is this...I believe children can be born with the genetic predisposition for autism...I also think the vaccinations can push an otherwise healthy baby over that edge (and no, I am not an angry mother looking for something to blame...just the facts Ma'am, the true facts!) I believe you can help your child improve, even main stream, but there is no cure for autism. I will surely teach you more about autism along this journey as I explain the daily challenges and celebrations experienced on this crazy train that is my life...

1 comment:

  1. wow, I hate that the statistic is getting worse. And since our bad word police won't be reading this (because they dont' read yet!) well, I will not be paying the bad word jar for saying 'hate' kim !

    ReplyDelete