Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Three's Company, never a crowd (especially when speaking of adults!)

We have a roommate, but she is more than that, she is my best friend, and the Patron Saint of Putting up with my Shit. I know how blessed I am to have this friend in my life. I have often referred to Kim as my children's "otha mutha", as she can step in and handle them in any situation without issue. EVERYONE should have a "Kim". This would truly be a blessing for anyone, but especially for someone with special needs children. She comes to us by way of divorce, bringing 2 children of her own into the mix; Gianna, a typical 5 year old girl and Georgie, a typical 3 year old boy (I can't believe such a statement passed through my mind and into print, as surely there is nothing typical about Georgie!). Our situation is unique on so many levels; but we function as a rather well blended family, following the notion that it takes a village to raise a child (or in our case, 5 children). We rely on each other to pick up the slack when one of us may falter...patience, empathy, discipline, sleep. But the most important thing our blended family offers to each other outside of love and support is understanding and tolerance for the "typicals" and behavior modeling for the "auts." (BTW, I will often refer to our gaggle as rival gangs..."The Auts vs. The Typs").

No comments:

Post a Comment